Friday 1 March 2013

A Non-Gamers Guide To: Minecraft





If you own a PC, you've probably already heard of this fairly massive phenomenon. You can't look around YouTube without seeing some kind of Minecraft gameplay. Be it parody, modded or 'vanilla', this simple yet addicting game has pretty much taken over.

The Background

Minecraft was the brain child of a single mind, Markus Persson, although he is better known by his nickname – Notch. There is speculation that his idea had already been made by a group of people and their game, Infiniminer, with the slight difference that this game was basically a blocky Team Deathmatch game, and not much fun at all. So I will disregard this criticism because I can. Mojang developed and published Minecraft in 2009 as an open Alpha and gradual move progression into Beta. It was in this phase that the game gained a massive following, with many prominent YouTubers making their names and reputation publishing videos of this game. Minecraft finally saw a full release in 2011. Since then, it has garnered much praise from gamers and developers alike for making both an interesting adventure and creation game in both single and multiplayer.


My Personal Experience

 I’d like to preface this entire section with the fact that I have only played the Xbox 360 Edition of Minecraft, which I feel is an incredible beginner’s tool for this very immersive game. If you read my League of Legends ‘review’, you will know my computer can barely handle the programs on it at the moment, so I think this game would probably just kill it, so all of this perspective will be from that version.
I had heard a lot about the game being a massive time sink and that they were going to release it as an Xbox Live Arcade game late 2011. I’d never really been too interested in Minecraft videos online up until then, as it was to a game I’d probably never play. However, when I heard of this version, I began to look it up. My favourite part of all the videos I watched was the amazing structures that could be build out of the simple blocks that were given in game. The gameplay itself, if slightly over exaggerated by certain YouTube celebrities, looked very appealing to me. I did take all of this footage I was seeing with a pinch of salt, however, as I did realise it would be different to the launch set up of the Xbox Version, but it was safe to say I was excited for this game to come out.
When it finally arrived, I was both amazed and disappointed at the same time. I was amazed as it was such a good version of the game. I saw my first problem would be the infamous difficult crafting recipies, and contantly having to check back to the Minecraft Wiki to get the information. This was completely taken out in the Xbox version, replacing it with a much simpler system where, if you have the items to make something, you can just click on the icon and it will make it for you. This was very much a beginner’s guide to Minecraft. I appreciated this, being the dim witted man-child I am.


However, this joy was short lived, as I noticed a lot of the things that were in the PC version were left out at launch, most disappointingly for me, the Creative Mode. Yes, you could play on peaceful and build to your heart’s content without mobs, but digging out all your materials when all you want to do is build a castle is arduous and unwanted. Fortunately since then, creative mode has been added, yet, to my knowledge, the End is still unattainable for some reason, although updates are coming very frequently with ‘new’ mobs and blocks every time. As soon as I was able to go into creative mode, I was hooked. I would say that Minecraft is probably the game I have given the most time to since Final Fantasy IX back in the Playstation 1 days.
If you are new to the game, but like to watch YouTube videos of people playing Minecraft, there are certain things you have to realise:

1) Creepers are not as scary as some people lead you to believe – Yes, if your stuff gets blown up that sucks a lot, but it doesn’t make you shit yourself with fear. Think of it like an explosion in any other game, but coming from a walking shrub. I guess if you are scared by slow moving shrubbery then you have every right to scream, but also no right to play a game where it’s basically their mascot.

2) Digging straight down IS a terrible idea – You may think, as I did, that digging straight down will get you to the more valuable ores quicker than a normal staircase. Not the case. Alongside random spawning of said ores, you are also more likely to find a lovely big pool of lava to burn all your materials or a beautiful ravine, which you will be seeing from the inside as you fall towards your death.

3) Minetracks are pointless – unless you’re aiming for a massive build or just want to show off, there’s no reason walking won’t be less costly and more efficient. Seeing how precious iron is on some seeds it seems silly to waste it all on a track.


My Verdict

Minecraft is the very well presented time sink everyone has said it would be on the PC, and playing it on the Xbox only makes it easier, for me at least. Although it’s still not perfect, it’s definitely worth 1200 Microsoft points, and the skins are pretty cool too. The skins go from Banjo to Marcus Fenix and everything Xbox in between. If you’ve plated the PC version already you may come away slightly disappointed, but newcomers to the game will love its simplistic nature and, now that there is a fully functional creative mode, enjoy the building and exploring even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment